Your smile is the first thing that people will notice about you. Keeping your dental health strong is super important and looking after your teeth and gums should be a daily lifestyle habit for everybody.
However, there may be some striking and fun dental facts that you may not be aware of when it comes to dentistry, and some may surprise you!
- 25% of adults do not brush their teeth twice a day
Dentists recommend that you brush your teeth twice a day to reduce the chances of decay spreading to your teeth, causing damage. Not brushing your teeth twice a day increases tooth decay by 33%.
- 75% of children have dental cavities
Dental cavities stem from not keeping teeth and gums clean, leading to harmful bacteria penetrating inside the mouth.
- Teeth begin to form when we are born
The first tooth when you’re a toddler typically erupts from underneath the gum 6 months after being born.
- Tooth enamel is the hardest substance in the body
The enamel acts as a protective tool to keep harmful bacteria away from your smile. Although, the enamel can become weaker if you have a high sugar diet and a lack of calcium and phosphate in your food.
- Without flossing, you’re missing out on cleaning 40% of your tooth surfaces
There are stubborn surfaces that a toothbrush may not be able to reach but flossing can. Flossing also helps to remove food debris in areas where they may become stuck, limiting dental plaque buildup.
- Tooth Decay is the second most common disease
Tooth decay is permanently damaged areas to the hard surface of your teeth that can form cavities. These ate caused by a combination of factors, such as high sugar diets, snacking, and poor hygiene habits.
- More than 300 bacteria are made up of dental plaque
Your mouth is home to 300 types of bacteria. Plaque is made up of different bacterial species, caused by sugar and bacteria combining to form acid to attack your teeth.
- Replacing a toothbrush helps to reduce chances of infection
If the bristles on your toothbrush are soft and unusable, the toothbrush can no longer accumulate bacteria, but spreads it instead, causing further decay.
- Smokers are more likely to develop periodontal disease
Smoking is acutely linked to periodontal disease because cigarettes cause gum inflammation and irritation.
- It takes 17 out of 43 muscles to smile
43 muscles make up your face controlled by the facial nerve. Only 17 of those muscles are impacted when you smile. However, when you frown, it uses all 43!
- 61% of adults are attracted to someone by their smile
Smiles are contagious and say a lot about a person’s confidence and appearance. It is also a tactic to look attractive to other people!
- Dental related illnesses year-round cause 51 million school hours to be missed
Any fun dental facts you want to share?
These fun dental facts show just how important looking after your dental health is. Dentists are well equipped to make sure your dental needs are met. Consult your local dentist for a check-up today.
Alternatively, if you have any other fun dental facts, share them with us!