With a filled cavity, ensure that appropriate care is taken to it for long-term care. This ensures the filling is protected for as long as possible. With a tooth filling, there are certain precautions you need to take.
The Five Tips
Read on to learn the five tips to look after your dental filling.
- Always Be Cautious – Although this may sound like common sense, it can sometimes be difficult to carry out. After the filling, the local anaesthetic will take some time to wear off. Therefore, you should be mindful of your mouth functioning such as chewing, talking and biting. Fillings usually take time about 24 hours to settle. Once the filling settles, be mindful of the foods you eat and try to keep any debris away from it.
- Be Careful When Brushing – Ensure that you’re brushing with a soft bristle brush at all times. When brushing teeth, take more care brushing in and around the filling. The filling may feel a bit tender a day after particularly by the gumline. Therefore, when brushing around the area, do it softly and slowly. You should be able to brush normally after the 24 hours has passed and the filling settles.
- Avoid Chewy And Hot Foods – When consuming food, sensitivity should be expected just after the filling is applied. Avoid foods that are at a hot temperature. Eat milder and softer foods that are more friendly to your filling. Chewing food will be more comfortable when the anaesthesia wears off and the filling settles, but ensure they’re kept to a minimum.
- Avoid Sodas – Sodas are probably the worst liquid to consume after a filling because the filling is more than likely to have been caused by excess sugar in the first place. Replace sodas with water to keep your teeth clean and the filling strong.
- Contact The Dentist – It is important that you keep in contact with the dentist. Follow up with them sometime after your appointment. If you experience sensitivity or notice any filled cracks within the tooth, consult the dentist early and check yourself in for an appointment.
The filling will be kept secure for the long-term as long as it is looked after. With good oral hygiene, your filling can last for years. Follow these precautions and take extra care with your filling.
Integrated Smiles are ready to welcome you for your oral health needs. If you have any filling concerns or need further advice, contact us now and let our specialist team assist you today or visit our profile on find a dentist near me.