Everyone wants a beautiful smile that they can be proud of. Sometimes, when we have dental problems, we feel embarrassed to smile or even show our teeth. Problems like crooked teeth or having large gaps between teeth can affect our self-confidence. For cases like these, the gold standard for treatment is by wearing braces.
When Do You Need Braces?
Dentists usually recommend braces or orthodontic treatment for patients who have the following dental problems:
- Misaligned teeth
- Crooked teeth
- Gapped teeth
- Crowded teeth
- Misaligned jaw
Some patients may forgo getting braces if their dental problems are minimal. But if having misaligned teeth affects the patient’s daily activities like eating, talking, and smiling, getting braces is highly encouraged.
How Much Do Braces Cost?
The specific cost of braces varies based on several factors. Firstly, there are different types of braces or orthodontic treatments to choose from. Each type has an average price range as well as specific features and benefits. Depending on your dentist and treatment plan, you may need a particular type of braces, or you may be able to choose which one you prefer.
Here are the different types of braces and their average cost:
- Metal Braces. These are the traditional braces commonly used for orthodontic treatment. Dentists use metal wires and brackets to create the braces and adjust them regularly. Most modern metal braces are smaller and more comfortable to wear than several years ago, but they are still the most visible. Depending on the patient’s treatment plan, they can go from as low as $4,000 to as high as $9,000.
- Ceramic Braces. Similar to metal braces, ceramic ones use tooth-coloured brackets for a more subtle appearance. They also have a similar price range of around $5,000 to $9,000.
- Invisalign/Clear Braces. Invisalign uses plastic moulds that are worn over the teeth to adjust their shape and alignment. These transparent trays are replaced regularly to adjust the teeth. While they are virtually invisible, they take longer to correct the teeth and may have more limitations in terms of treatment applications. They cost about $6,000 to $9,000 for major cases but can go as low as $4,500 for minor treatments.
- Lingual Braces. The most expensive option, lingual braces are exactly like metal braces, but they are placed behind the teeth. They are not visible at all when you smile. However, they can slightly affect your speech because of their placement. These cost from $9,000 to as high as $15,000.
Does Dental Insurance Cover Braces?
Unfortunately, Medicare does not cover braces. However, if you have a private health plan, you may check it with your provider. Some programs specifically include orthodontics, while others may only cover a partial amount or none at all.
Benefits of Getting Orthodontic Treatment
Although it may seem costly, getting orthodontic treatment has a lot of benefits, including:
- Straight, beautiful teeth and a better-looking smile. Flashing a smile with your perfectly aligned teeth can give you a big confidence boost.
- Improved oral functionality. Having a wrong bite or crooked teeth can affect chewing and speaking abilities. Once your teeth have been aligned properly, your oral functions will improve, and you can bite, chew, and talk more comfortably.
- Reduced pain in the jaws. Getting braces can improve the alignment of the jaws and reduce pressure on the jaw joints. It also prevents more serious problems like TMJ disorders.
- Lower risk of cavities and gum disease. With better-aligned teeth, your mouth has a lower risk of harbouring bacteria in unreachable areas. It’s easier to clean equally-spaced teeth. Your breath will also smell better.
Find the Best Orthodontic Dentist in Bendigo
If you live in Bendigo or other neighbouring suburbs like Long Gully and Golden Square, our Integrated Smiles Dental Clinic is the best place to get braces. We have highly experienced dental professionals who will work closely with you to create the best orthodontic treatment plan. Please book an appointment with us to learn more about our services.